Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Two lessons

1) Some foods, for me, are drugs -- not food at all. These things include Kentucky Fried Chicken, macaroni and cheese, and a lot of other "comfort" foods, especially those involving white sugar, white flour, dairy (cheese!) and greasy texture.. When I eat these foods, my body does not expect to be energized and satisfied with nutrition. My body expects, when I eat these foods, to be sedated, to be soothed into a "food coma." If I eat just a *little* of these foods, a strong craving kicks in until I *get* to the "food coma" stage. In other words, these foods do not feed and satisfy me -- they cause me to crave and feel DISsatisfied.

2) There has been some kind of payoff to keeping myself fat, and it's pretty complex. Today it seems to be trying to come into focus, so I've been thinking about it. My thoughts:

I have often felt that I could not put in the time and effort to take care of myself, that everyone and everything else comes first, and I put myself last. But -- why would I do that? There's certainly some kind of martyr thinking going on, here -- the very idea makes me sick, but I think it's true.

There's also some definite laziness going on. Often the "other stuff" that I do at the expense of taking care of myself is cerebral, computerized, something I can do from a seated position -- and taking care of myself involves getting up and moving around. It's not clear to me whether I became lazy before or after I got fat. Moving really is hard and painful now, but I'm sure it hasn't always been. It almost doesn't matter -- I'm lazy now, and the only way for things to get easier is to get up and do something.

Here's what's forcing me to make a change (and scaring the crap out of me): all the people who I've thought I had to "do for" are now really invested in me losing weight. Ask any of them, and they would say, "Go and get your exercise! Make good food for yourself! This stuff can wait!" This includes my bosses, my friends, the people I'm in ministry with, everyone at my church, my family...everyone! So -- NOW what's my excuse?

There isn't one. I have two choices: a) get my act together, or b) face the fact that the choice *not* to get it together is entirely *mine*. No more martyrdom. Just the lazyness and the fear. I own it -- I cannot put it off on anyone else.

On the other hand, this represents tremendous freedom! Hallelujah, no more martyrdom! I put it out there to everyone I know, and they not only made it clear that they want me to succeed -- they actually put money on the line!

No more confusion -- the path ahead is clear, and if I don't take that path, I own the fact that I chose to sit here on my ass.

1 comment:

Emily Alice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.